The kitchen sink is an important part of your home. Many hours will be spent washing dishes, vegetables and hands in your sink. It is important to pick the sink style and material that best fits your needs.
First, let’s discuss the most popular materials for a kitchen sink.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless steel is a workhorse. Clean, modern, sterile and durable. Stainless is very stain-resistant but is also more susceptible to water spots and tends be loud. All-in-all, stainless steel is a very dependable material for a kitchen sink. There’s a reason this is the most popular choice of the bunch.
- Cast Iron – Cast iron is sturdy and heavy. It is durable and with its enamel coating, looks great in a kitchen. It is also extremely durable. However, cast iron is normally a more expensive option.
- Fireclay – Fireclay is a ceramic material that is dried at a very high temperature, making it very durable. Fireclay is very popular in the farm sink style and is also on the higher end of the pricing scale.
- Composite – Composite sinks are primarily made of granite or quartz. Generally, composite sinks are the most durable and offer a more unique look for your kitchen.
Next, we will discuss the most popular kitchen sink styles.
- Single Bowl – Single bowl sinks are a great option for small kitchens where you need to make the most of your space. Depending on how you like to do dishes, single bowl sinks can make the task a bit more tedious.
- Double Bowl – Double bowl sinks are the most common and allow for multiple applications at the same time. You can soak dishes in one side while accomplishing something else in the other bowl. Double bowl sinks can make it difficult to fit large sheet pans or dishes, so keep that in mind.
- Farmhouse – Farm style sinks are in vogue. Farmhouse sinks feature one large, rectangular bowl with tons of space. There are no issues fitting large items in the sink and are very stylish. They are usually the most expensive option and take a bit more work to install.
Spend some time thinking about how you use your kitchen sink and select the style and material that will make the most out of this part of your kitchen.